Saturday, December 28, 2013

2013: A Review

Happy Early New Year!  I really can't believe it's (almost) already a new year, seems like we just got last year started.  Anyhoo, here's a little recap of how my 2013 went!  And I owe this little post to Joy at I Can Say Mama; I'd never have put this together on my own!

Gained or lost weight?  Gained.... like, the doctor said go on a diet.

Predominant feeling in 2013?  Hmmm, feelings are tough.  Any given day is a roller coaster of emotions.  But, predominantly, I guess the feeling for 2013 was complete and utter chaos!

Predominant feeling for 2014?  I predict the chaos will follow me right into the new year, but if I could wish for it, I'd have nothing but complete and utter peace in 2014.

Something you did for the first time in 2013?  I'm not a "try something new" kind of person, but I did, for the first time ever, give an injection.  My aunt, who has diabetes, began a new medication and I was the lucky person who got to give it to her.  It's an epi-pen type thing, very fool proof.  I passed the torch to my mother in December, though.

Something you did again in 2013 after a long pause?  No clue.  Oh!  I started "digital scrapbooking" again!  Sort of.  I was really surprised to see that I hadn't worked on any of our family photos since May 2010!  I am waaaaaay behind.

Something you unfortunately did not do in 2013?  Sadly, I did not stick with my little line-a-day idea that I had at the end of 2012.  Better luck this year!  Nor did I manage to read one book a week.  So much for those New Year's Resolutions I made!

Word of the year?  Yes.  Sadly, it will not carry over into 2014.  2014 is going to be the year of big, fat NO.  Sorry people.

City of the year?  Evansville, the most travelled to city anyway.

Hair longer or shorter?  Shorter, then longer.

More or less money spent?  Probably more.

Highest mobile phone bill?  I think the highest was around $220, we have four lines and the husband continuously goes over his data plan.  Yes, we've had many fights about it.

Hospital stays?  Zero, thank goodness!  Unless you count one out-patient procedure?

(Fallen) In love?  Still in love.

Most called person?  Casey.

Whom did you spend the most beautiful time with?  My kids.  They drive me crazy, but there's nothing better than being home with them.

What did you spend most of your time with?  I probably spent more time sitting in the waiting room while the kids did therapy than anything else this year.  Or, possibly, more time sitting in the car in the student pickup lane at school!  It'd be a toss up between those two.

Song of the year?  Oh, gosh.  This is a tough one.  The funny side of me wants to pick What Does the Fox Say, because I do have that one on my playlist.  But, really the song of the year has to be Lorde's Royals.  Patty and I both love it.

Book of the year?  This reminds me, I didn't complete my one-book-a-week resolution in 2013!  Bummer!  But, I guess my book of the year would have to be....hmmmm.  I read a handful of "classics" that I found for-cheap on Amazon.  I can't pick just one of them as book of the year, so I guess all things Signet Classic, will have to do.

TV show/movie of the year?  Oh, this one is beyond tough for me.  I am a tv-a-holic in desperate need of a 12 step program.  Like, seriously.  Hmmmm....  I'm going to pick X-Factor.  This was my second year watching the program and I absolutely love it.  Oh, but I really liked the Dancing with the Stars cast this year too!  And who can forget about Survivor, my all time favorite!  See, serious tv problem.

Insight of the year?  You can't be in two places at once, but multitasking is almost the same thing.

Three things you totally could have done without?  1. Lack of Facebook Etiquette, maybe it's just that I don't feel strongly enough about anything to leave a disagreeing comment on one of your personal posts, but there was a time this year when a lot of people thought it was more than appropriate to voice their views on my Facebook posts.  2.  Weight gain ;-}  3. Too hot summer days.

Most beautiful event?  My children's birthdays.  Hands down.

More short-sighted or more far-sighted than 2013?  About the same, I think.

The most dangerous thing you did?  Ha!  I don't live a dangerous life!  Unless you count posting my opinion on Facebook, that has proven to be quite the taboo lately.

The most expensive thing you bought?  I ordered an expensive Fossil bag, but returned it because it was absolutely huge!  So, I guess the Silhouette Portrait was the most expensive purchase of my year.

The most delicious meal or food you ate?  Oh geez, another thinker.  We make these little cookies every Christmas, we call them Secret Kiss Cookies, and they are to die for yummy.  They are the highlight of my Christmas candy season.  Sadly, I have not made them this year.  I am taking my doc's advice to drop ten pounds seriously, and having those little yummies in the house would be diet suicide.

The best party?  If it had cake, it was the best!

The most important thing you wanted to convince somebody of?  Regardless of diagnosis or family status, I believe kids are able to achieve great and wonderful things.  They just need a little push, a little guidance, and their own cheering section.  Get your pom-poms ready.

The most beautiful present you gave to somebody?  Hmmm.  I don't think I gave any profoundly insightful presents this year.  Sorry, folks!  In fact, I got more than a little irritated when someone made a remark about getting money, instead of the gift I put a lot of thought into purchasing.  I predict, next year, a lot of folks will be getting a lot of nothing.

The most beautiful present that somebody gave you?  My kids are the gift that keeps giving.

The most beautiful sentence someone said to you?  My kids saying "I love you, mommy".

The most beautiful sentence you said to someone?  I tell my kids on a regular basis, "You can do it.  I know you can."

How will you celebrate New Year's Eve?  I want to be snuggled up on the couch watching tv.

What will you have for dinner?  Maybe, pizza.

What drinks will be in your glasses to clink?  Ha!  Pepsi.  Whoopsie, I have given up caffeinated soft drinks since I first wrote this, so now I will be having a nice glass of Sprite to celebrate the New Year!

Will you ignite any fireworks?  No, not even if it's legal.
- I think there are states in the US where it is not allowed to ignite private fireworks on New Year's Eve so for all of you who are not allowed (or other countries where this is not allowed): What is a special tradition you normally do on New Year's Eve every year? Will you do it this year, too?

What are you going to wear? Comfy or glamorous?  Pajamas, totally comfy.

Did you have any resolutions for 2013? And how about 2014?  I want to make my doctor proud, and lose weight in 2014.....along with all the other foolishly optimistic people!  I want to read more, and get caught up with my family photos, too.

What are your wishes for the new year?  Good health, and happy hearts.

In one word: 2013 was...  Pivotal.

Joy @ i can say mama: 2013 Wrap up

6 comments:

  1. Very cool list, Misty. I laughed about the doctor comment. A friend of mine recently posted on Facebook that her doctor, when asked how often/long she should use a treadmill replied: Get on and never get off (ouch).

    Oh and I am a total TV addict as well. Survivor, best one ever by the way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks Kerri! i had patty at the doc this morning for a reck (ear infection) and had to weigh myself. i lost about three pounds! and during the holidays no less! good call not to make those yummy cookies this year! i love that about the treadmill, did your friend body check him? :-)

      Delete
  2. It sounds like you had a great year. The sky's the limit to your kids' potential, especially with a great advocate like you for their mom!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks kristi, if anyone had told me 15 years ago that this would be my life, i'd probably have laughed in their face! but, now, I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world!

      Delete
  3. Sounds like a great year, Misty, despite the chaos (or because of it??). Remember: calmness always depends on attitude. If you decide for yourself to take a deep breath every once in a while, calmness will follow :-) A Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete